Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

Flea Market Finds: 1950s Bar Ware and Lots of Hens

Once a month I take a break from the routine here at the studio and I venture out to the old Naval Air Station Alameda, now home of the Alameda Point Antiques Fair.  We locals call it the "Alameda Flea Market."  The whole thing is held out on the airstrip of the old base, where you can find hundreds of vendors comprising one of the biggest antique shows in the US.

I usually go with a few things in mind that I'm hunting for, but I always come away with a surprise item that found me.  This month, my husband alerted me to this bold hosting set of vintage 1950s beer pilsners, which feature my favorite mid-century diamond motif silk screened in gold and turquoise -- perfect for serving up ice cold oat soda or a bubbly French lemonade!


Each month I always seem to notice one item or category of items that are literally everywhere throughout the market... something always seems to be trending... do all the vendors get the memo or what?  July's item of the month were glass hen-on-nest covered dishes - in every color and type of glass imaginable.  They're a common item to see at the market, but this month they were at EVERY booth, it seemed.  Carnival glass, milk glass, jadeite, bright orange, painted ceramic... we saw them all.  As hen lovers ourselves, we couldn't resist this petite duo:  A clear hen with red comb and her milky white sister, who will undoubtedly be serving our after-dinner butter mints from now on. 


2 comments:

  1. Thats funny. I sell(sold this week at the fair) and didnt bring my hen dishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have! They were all the rage. I couldn't believe how many of them we saw this month.

    ReplyDelete